I am looking forward to a fun and exciting time in P.E. this year. Your child will have Physical Education three days a week. To help in making this the best experience possible, there are several procedures of which I would like you to be aware.
• DRESS: Students will need to be dressed appropriately for their P.E. class to be allowed to participate.
o Appropriate dress consists of fitted rubber sole shoes (please see Appropriate Shoes file below) with no heels, socks, pants or shorts, and collared shirt or spirit shirt
o Girls wearing dresses or skirts to school should wear shorts underneath.
o Any dangling jewelry or accessories must be removed before participation.
• EXCUSES: A written note from a parent is necessary to excuse a child from Physical Education. If your child does not need to be excused from all activities, let me know which activities you would like your child excused from (example- “no running”). Please specify the number of days the excuse is for; it will be assumed the excuse is for one day otherwise. For an excuse longer than three days, a doctor’s note is required.
• GRADES: Students in K will not receive P.E. and Health grades. 1st grade will earn letter grades E, S, N, or U. Students in 2nd – 5th grades will earn numerical grades. Grades will be based on participation/behavior, fitness, and skills. If a child has a written note for non participation, it will be considered excused and will not affect their grade. Conduct marks received in P.E. will be included on your child’s daily or weekly conduct sheet given through their classroom teacher.
• SPARK: A quality P.E. program is offered to students as part of our curriculum. We will be using activities from the SPARK P.E. program. Spark P.E. is a unique program designed to help teachers like myself lead activities that are inclusive, highly active, integrate academic and wellness concepts, and are fun for all students. Additionally, instructional units are designed to develop students’ motor, cognitive, and social skills.
• WEBSITE: I will be posting important P.E. and health related information on the La Porte ISD website (www.lpisd.org). You can get to my webpage by clicking on Campuses, Bayshore Elementary, Faculty Webpages, and Jill Gonzales. You may also contact me through e-mail on my webpage.
If you have any questions about the above information please contact me at Bayshore Elementary at 281-604-4684. LET’S HAVE A GREAT YEAR!
Coach Jill Gonzales (Coach G)